Starting Point Academy Independent Study
Providing Teens in Recovery with High School Credits via Online Learning & Relapse Prevention Coaching
A Community of Like-Minded Learners
Starting Point Academy is for teens age 14-18 and in grades 9-12 who are working through recovery from addiction. We are not a treatment center nor a residential facility. We are a private, tuition-based recovery-focused education academy.
Treating teens for addictions really does work. But maintaining sobriety is another story, especially when teens return to the school and social situations where their abuse of addictive substances began or was encouraged.
According to the the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), 80% of teens that exit treatment relapse within the first week of discharge. Something better is needed!
Starting Point has Three Objectives:
- Lost credits recovery
- Virtual learning in preparation for graduation, and
- Self-management focused recovery and life skills training and support.
What We Offer:
- A sense of belonging via a community of like-minded learners.
- Year-round schooling — 9 weeks on, 2 weeks off. Research shows that teens with chemical dependency issues need to be in school year-round with frequent breaks in between.
- Peer-to-peer support in building recovery resilience.
- Relapse prevention planning.
- Virtual academics.
- A chance to catch up on lost credits and graduation-focused academics.
- On-site licensed alcohol and drug counseling.
- Recovery self-management coaching.
- Competency-based assessments: No A-F grading policy.(80% on any assessment is passing.)
How We Do It:
- Online learning with progress toward graduation and college.
- Student-centered, blended independent study.
- Certified learning specialists.
- Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor on staff.
- S.M.A.R.T. Self-Management Recovery Skills Training.
- Small self-management group coaching.
- Individualized relapse prevention plans.
- Whole Life Recovery (physical, mental, emotional, social, & spiritual).
Recovery-Focused Schools Work!
Reports from national private and alternative school organization show that 97% of seniors enrolled in recovery-focused schools graduate. And they graduate sober and go on to college and universities or on to lead productive lives. Given that addiction is currently considered our nation’s number one health problem, Starting Point Academy can be your loved one’s best choice.
Please call for a personal consultation to see how your teen may qualify for our year round school program. After all registration forms and transcripts have been submitted for review, we will then contact you to schedule your personalized orientation meeting.